Most of us get more than we need. Recommendations from the American Heart Association and the U.S. government range from 1,500 to 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day. If you want to cut back, you need to do more than ease up on the shaker on your table. Watch what you eat. You may be shocked by some of the foods that are high in salt.
Here are some foods you need to think twice about before eating
- Frozen Foods – they taste great but many are high in sodium.
- Ready to Eat Cereals – Some of your favorite brands are high as well.
- Vegetable Juices– They can contain your daily vegetable requirement but have a lot of sodium to go along with that.
- Canned Vegetables– It’s a good idea to rinse can vegetables well, or look for labels that say, “no salt added”.
- Packaged Deli Meats– Just look at the salt content on the label and it will shock you.
- Soup- Soup may warm you up on a cold day but they are normally loaded with a lot of salt
- Marinades and Flavorings – Some of your favorites may be super salty. For instance, one table spoon of teriyaki sauce has 879 milligrams.
- Spaghetti Sauce– a half of cup may have as much as 550 plus milligrams.
- Spicing It Up– Adding spices to an entrée can be an easy way to forego the salt shaker. Just make sure there is no hidden sodium in your selection.
- Nuts– An ounce of most dry roasted brands have 116 milligrams.
- Salty Snacks – Most of these snacks including baked or fat free still have a lot of sodium.
- Prepackaged Foods– Some of your natural foods like rice, pasta, and potatoes are low in sodium. But if you get the convenient all-in-one box and add the flavor packet, your sodium count may just up greatly.
- Condiments Count – Most of your condiments like ketchup are high in sodium.
We at On Call Medical Clinic hope this information was helpful. Please remember when you have a minor injury or sickness, we are here 7 days a week to help. We have complete laboratory facilities to quickly diagnosis your illness. Please visit our website at www.oncallclinic.com to learn about all the medical and skin care services we offer.