Well it’s summer time and time to have fun in the great outdoors. But this fun can turn on you if your skin is not well protected from the sun’s strong rays and you become sunburn.
Remember care should begin prior to you getting a sunburn. Prevention is the most important step to avoid short-term consequences of sun exposure and long term risks for skin damage and skin cancer.
Immediate self-care is aimed at stopping the UV radiation from the sun.
- Get out of the sun
- Cover exposed skin
- Use sun protection factor of 30 or higher and apply frequently when out in the sun
If, however you get sunburned, relief of the discomfort becomes important. Here are several things that may help
- Medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen help decrease pain and inflammation especially when started early.
- For mild sunburn burn, cool compresses with equal parts of milk and water can help. Cold compresses with Burrow’s solution can also be used. For this product, dissolve 1 packet in 1 pint of water. Soak gauge or a soft clean cloth with it. gently wring out the cloth and apply to the sunburned area for 15 to 20 minutes. Refresh the cloth and solution every 2 to 3 hours.
- You can use Aloe Vera gel to soothe irritated skin.
- Cool baths may be helpful. Avoid bath salts, oils, and perfumes
- You should stay out of the sun while you are burnt.
- Hydration is also very important.
If medical attention is necessary you may need stronger pain medication, antibiotics, or silver sulfadiazine, which should all be prescribed by a doctor.
If you suffer any of the following from your sunburn you need to obtain immediate emergency care.
- Severe pain
- Severe blistering
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fainting or dizziness
We at On Call Medical Clinic like you look forward to the Summer. We hope that this information was helpful to you. If your sunburn needs medical attention, we are here 7 days a week to help. Our facility has all the diagnostic and laboratory equipment necessary to help us quickly determine how to help.
Please call us at 228 818-5155 if we can help. Also, please visit our website at www.oncallclinic.com to learn about all the medical services we offer.